The 2000 Sydney Games featured athletes from 199 nations competing in 300 medal events. The United States finished atop the medal count with 93 medals: 37 gold, 24 silver and 32 bronze.
Gold medal winners at the Sydney Olympic Games:
- Nancy Johnson won a gold medal in shooting in the 10-meter air rifle.
- In men’s swimming, gold medalists were Lenny Krayzelburg (100-meter backstroke and 200-meter backstroke); Tom Malchow (200-meter butterfly); Tom Dolan (400-meter individual medley); Anthony Ervin and Gary Hall Jr. (50-meter freestyle); and the 4×100-meter medley relay team of Ian Crocker, Hall Jr., Tommy Hannan, Lenny Krayzelburg, Jason Lezak, Ed Moses and Neil Walker.
- In women’s swimming, gold medalists were Brooke Bennett (400-meter freestyle and 800-meter freestyle); Megan Quann (100-meter breaststroke); Misty Hyman (200-meter butterfly); the 4×100-meter freestyle relay team of Erin Phenix, Courtney Shealy, Ashley Tappin, Jenny Thompson, Dara Torres and Amy Van Dyken; the 4×200-meter freestyle relay team of Samantha Arsenault, Lindsay Benko, Kim Black, Diana Munz, Julia Stowers and Thompson; and the 4×100-meter medley relay team of Barbara Bedford, Quann, Shealy, Staciana Stitts, Tappin, Thompson, Torres and Van Dyken.
- In men’s track and field, gold medalists were Maurice Greene (100-meter dash); Michael Johnson (400-meter run); Angelo Taylor (400-meter hurdles); Nick Hysong (pole vault); and the 4×100-meter relay team of Kenneth Brokenburr, Jon Drummond, Greene, Brian Lewis, Tim Montgomery and Bernard Williams.
- In women’s track and field, gold medalists were Stacy Dragila (pole vault); and the 4×400-meter relay team of Andrea Anderson, LaTasha Colander, Monique Hennagan and Jearl Miles Clark.
- U.S. gold-medal winning teams were softball, baseball, women’s basketball and men’s basketball.
- In weightlifting, Tara Nott won gold in the women’s 48-kilogram.
- In cycling, Marty Nothstein won gold in the men’s sprint.
- In equestrian, David O’Connor won gold in individual eventing.
- In diving, Laura Wilkinson won gold in the women’s platform.
- Dain Blanton and Eric Fonoimoana won gold in beach volleyball.
- In tennis, Venus Williams won the women’s singles gold medal and teamed with her sister Serena to win gold in women’s doubles.
- Wrestling gold medalists were Rulon Gardner (Greco-Roman 130 kilograms) and Brandon Slay (freestyle 76 kilograms).
- In taekwondo, Steven Lopez won gold at 68 kilograms.
- In sailing, Magnus Liljedahl and Mark Reynolds won gold in the star class.