The 2000 Sydney Paralympics featured athletes from 121 nations competing in 551 medal events. The United States claimed 109 medals: 36 gold, 39 silver and 34 bronze.
Gold medal winners at the Sydney Paralympic Games:
- In men’s track and field, gold medal winners were Arnold Astrada (shotput); Shawn Brown (discus); Ross Davis (100 meters); Larry Hughes (discus); David Larson (400 meters); Shawn Meredith (400 meters and 800 meters); Paul Nitz (100 meters); Joseph Parker (800 meters and 5,000 meters); Freeman Register (200 meters); Tony Volpentest (100 meters and 200 meters).
- In women’s track and field, gold medal winners were Jennifer Barrett (discus); Jean Driscoll (10,000-kilometers and marathon); Ellen Hyman (discus); Linda Mastandrea (200 meters); Marla Runyan (pentathlon); Leann Shannon (100 meters, 200 meters and 400 meters).
- In cycling, Daniel Nicholson won gold in mixed 20-kilometer bicycle and Dory Selinger won gold in mixed omnium.
- In equestrian, Vicki Sweigart won gold in mixed dressage and mixed kur trot.
- Kim Brownfield won gold in over-100 kilogram men’s powerlifting.
- In men’s swimming, gold medal winners were Luis Alicea (100-meter freestyle); Daniel Butler (50-meter butterfly); Daniel Kelly (100-meter backstroke and 200-meter individual medley); James Thompson (50-meter breaststroke); Jason Wenning (400-meter freestyle); the 4×50-meter freestyle relay team of Gregory Burns, Butler, Martin Parker, Aaron Paulson and Thompson; and the 4×50-meter medley relay team of Burns, Butler, Parker and Paulson.
- In women’s swimming, gold medal winner were Joyce Luncher (100-meter butterfly, 100-meter freestyle and 50-meter freestyle); Elizabeth Scott (100-meter butterfly); Camille Waddell (100-meter breaststroke); Trischa Zorn (100-meter backstroke and 200-meter individual medley); the 4×100 medley relay team of Karen Norris, Diane Straub, Luncher and Allison Pittman.
- In table tennis, Jennifer Johnson won gold in women’s singles and Tahl Lebovitz won gold in men’s singles.
- The wheelchair rugby team won gold in mixed competition.
- The men’s doubles team of Vance Parmelly and Stephen Welch won gold in wheelchair tennis.